21 April 2005

Running on Empty

The cast is gone, and this week I was rid of the boot. I walk unencumbered, though with a bit of a limp, the latter a result of muscles severely tightened and resistant to flex. I have exercises, and I go to physical therapy three times each week. I don’t know how long that continues—as most good therapists, mine urges me to continue without end. Why not?

The issue now is how to move on. I have to reenter the life I lived before this event occurred. I intend to return to running, sooner rather than later, but later rather than sooner. I intend to get my own cups of coffee, though it was so pleasant to be so well served. I will no longer be focused on the damaged ankle, and hope to begin to focus on other activities and priorities. I want to return with energy to my scholarly, intellectual and academic life. I have begun to study again in the early morning hours.

But I had broken my ankle—lately I like to say that the ankle was fractured—if it was truly broken then it must also be beyond repair. Yet I am now walking evidence that whatever occurred is now restored. Unlike my mother’s vase, my leg is knit almost perfectly. Indeed, my doctor tells me, for a while the bone will even be stronger than it was before I fractured it. And since I had broken it, I can never again be a person who has not had a broken ankle. Every step I now take presses on the ankle that was broken. Every step I take reminds me that once I couldn’t walk.

I have rested, as it were, for six weeks. I, of course, had discovered that I was vulnerable, as if I needed the ankle to remind me of that frailty. But indeed, that had been the case: I have been relatively healthy and unfractured for most of my life. While laid up with the fractured ankle, I could not recall another time when I was ever so incapacitated. In the last thirty years I have not missed running more than four days running, and that when I had undergone a hemerrhoidectomy, and, as a patient etherized upon a table, had had some anal fissures fused.

I discovered that I could rest, and that the world would not fall apart if I could not run. Nor would I gain seven hundred pounds and sink into the comfy chair never to arise again. I didn’t get any more read, but neither did I read any less. I had no more or less profound thoughts, though, as with Prospero, every third thought was of the grave.

1 Comments:

Blogger Czarina said...

Aha!! Finally, my browser accepts you as legitimate!

I wrote about your "running on empty" some time ago, Alan... how hard it is to ever get back into a plan or habit once it's been disrupted.

But knowing you, I know you will get there very quickly. Once this undecided weather finally decides to be spring and summer, you'll be trotting down the road and through the thistles like nothing ever broke!!!

Keep in mind, relative to the weather, that Colorado daughter was driving through piles of driving snow this morning on her way to work! We could have it worse here...

29 April, 2005 09:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home