11 August 2011

Spun a Different Way


The recall elections fell short of Democratic hopes. They fell far short of my expectations as well. The recall elections of 9 August 2011 in Wisconsin deposed only two Republicans; three or more were necessary to change the balance of power in the state. I thought for certain that the electorate was angrier than that as a result of the blatant abuse of Republican authority and the fascistic tactics they are employing to disenfranchise those who oppose them. I hoped that others shared my concern at the Republican’s naked grasp for power in their legislative agenda. And though the Democrats failed in their attempt to gain a majority in the Assembly, they did manage to remove two Republican senators. 
I think this is no small feat, given the amount of tea the country seems to be drowning in. It may be a desperate attempt at a positive spin, but I need something to offer me some cheer. And besides, The New York Times today agrees with me: the Democrats surpassed previous recall attempts in the past 80 years that the recall option has been in effect in Wisconsin, and the Republicans ought to be concerned.  Onward.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some cheer is on the way, something to gladden the heart.

11 August, 2011 08:21  
Blogger Unknown said...

I too am glum at the outcome. In the "complicated conversations," I remember reading Pinar's and your fears of MBA thinking taking over education. It seems the work of Walker and his Republican/Tea Party cronies has germinated in my community and state.
---
I fear it will take root.

14 August, 2011 11:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home