20 November 2016

20th November 2016: Day 12 of the Horror

I read in The New York Times: “Donald Trump has reversed course and agreed on Friday to pay $25 million to settle a series of lawsuits stemming from his defunct for-profit education venture, Trump University, finally putting to rest fraud allegations by former students, which have dogged him for years and hampered his presidential campaign.” It seems that though Trump has “previously a real estate mogul who derides legal settlements and has mocked fellow businessmen who agree to them.” I cannot recall the last time a President-Elect has had to settle a suit of this (or any) size before taking the inaugural oath to honor and protect the rights guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States. I wonder if the little box on the right side of the check is large enough to fit in all of the necessary zeros to make up $25,000,000.00.
     I read in
The New York Times: “Mr. Trump played host to three Indian business partners who are building a Trump-branded apartment complex, raising new questions about how he will separate business from politics.” Sam lies dying. He looks up at the people surrounding his bedside. “Is my wife, Zelda, here?” “Yes, my darling,” Zelda sobs. “I’m right here.” “And my two sons, Steve and Frank, are they here?” “Yes, Father,” Frank responds soberly, “we are both here with you now.” Sam turns his head feebly. “Morris, my brother, where are you?” “I’m here Sam, I’m here.” Suddenly, Sam sits up with great energy and thunderingly calls out, “Well, then who is minding the store?”
     That is exactly my point! who is minding the store?  Trump has handed over the country to a cadre of racists, anti-Semites and misogynists while he continues to take care of his own personal business—abusing the nation’s time to manage his own private affairs. Tweeting demands for an apology for a legitimate use of free speech. One wonders whether he would just love to order the close of the show! But as of now he is just barely managing to stay out of court. I sense there must be more settlements to come before 20 January 2017. If he weren’t so dangerous then this man might be a joke.
     My friends tell me (well, mostly it is Mitchell to tell the truth: the others are somewhat terrified) that the pendulum will swing and that all will be well again . . . but I don’t have confidence at all in this hope. I maintain the sense that at the head of government sits a man who attained the post as a game and now is prepared to return to his original focus: making money and grabbing pussy.  
     I am appalled and terrified. That’s it. I cannot sleep. I walk about with an ache in my gut that all will not be well enough again.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home