28 September 2005

No Direction Home: At last


I reserved the Television and the Comfy Chair at my house for the two part screening of No Direction Home, the Martin Scorsese film documenting the early years of the life and career of Bob Dylan. The film ends in 1966, and Dylan had turned twenty five years old. In 1966, I turned nineteen.

I loved Scorsese’s treatment of Dylan. It was not an exercise in hero worship, but a situating of Dylan in the world and of Dylan’s work in his life. It gave some insight into Dylan’s psyche and his processes. I learned something last evening.

Most of all, I loved sitting in the comfy chair sharing the evenings with my two children who have always had Bob Dylan as part of their life’s sound track, and sharing my memories, my passions, and my allegiances with people all over North America who were also sitting and watching No Direction Home. It was for me truly a homecoming evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home