25 June 2006

Stamp On Stupidity


I actually have very interesting work to do this evening, and some regular phone calls to make to dear friends. But I am compelled to address the latest bit of idiocy from the Christian Right. Dylan (again and still) articulates my despair. He writes in “Stuck inside of Mobile (With the Memphis Blues Again)": “And here I sit so patiently/Waiting to find out what price/You have to pay to get out of/Going through all these things twice.” Indeed!

I read in The Forward (16 June 2006) that in a footnote on the third page of Ann Coulter’s new book, Godless: The Church of Liberalism, she writes “Throughout this book, I often refer to Christians and Christianity because I am a Christian and I have a firmly good idea of what they believe, but the term is intended to include anyone who subscribes to the Bible of the God of Abraham, including Jews and others.”Indeed!

I say: The absolute effrontery (but I say them not in those exact words) of that ignorant pedant to conflate what Jews believe and what Christians believe in a single belief. What ignorance and hubris the statement reveals about this spokesperson for the a) Christian Right; b) the Republican establishment; and the Conservative Clowns. But then, how typical of the imperialist machinations of the present Cheney/Bush Administration. Her words are too stupid to address in substance, but her words are too stupid to ignore.

The Washington Post ran a contest in which they challenged readers to take a common word and change one letter to invent a new word, and then to give that word a definition. The all time favorite was ignoranus: someone who is both stupid and an asshole.
Ann Coulter has several books in publication, and I believe she actually makes money from her writing.

Another of my favorites is dopeler effect: the tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Metonomy is a literary trope in which a writer makes meaning by placing words, ideas, sentences, images (you get the idea, I hope!) in contiguity.

Figure it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home