02 February 2008

2 February Cold Thoughts


Sometimes I wonder myself where I have been of late. My last posting seems a long time since, but actually is only two weeks past. Nevertheless, I can’t quite answer where it is I have been of late. Oh, certainly I have been in my home, in classrooms, even steadily with my on-line classes. I have been preparing a talk to be given at University North Caroline-Chapel Hill, and re-sending a book proposal the publisher. I’ve been reading teacher autobiographies. This is not a practice out of context: I teach autobiography as a teacher-education pedagogy, and so I assign autobiographies to read and offer strategies for reading them. Of late, I am interested in how teachers tell their story, and especially how they explain becoming a teacher.

I’ve been following the election carefully. Though I have great affection for Hillary, I think I have to vote for Barrack. And here is why: on the radio this week I heard the Republicans debating on Minnesota Public Radio. A question was posed to them concerning the Supreme Court, and both McCain and Romney said that they would appoint justices in the mold of Roberts, Alito, Scalia and Thomas. I became sick to my stomach.

I have to vote for Barrack, because I don’t think Hillary can win because the country is more misogynist than racist, and she is the focus for their hatreds. And I am terrified that the Republicans might win the election this November, and I don’t think I could stand that. It would be very bad for me, and a tragedy for my children. I would vote for the devil if s/he ran on the Democratic ticket. Without qualification.

So perhaps I know where I have been, but I haven’t really wanted to be found.

Nevertheless, we have another passenger for Shabbat mornings; it is my honor and my responsibility.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home