14 May 2015

Fifty Years On


Another year and another reunion. I remember when I arrived on the campus at Roanoke College in 1965 that in progress was the 50th reunion of the graduates of the class of 1915. I remember thinking to myself: Oh, Lord, these people are so old. I will never be that old. What I probably meant is that I could not imagine myself portly in shape, wrinkled in visage, returning after having lived a life when actually I had just begun the life I was to live. Ironically, I suppose, then it was not death I anticipated (even feared) but life. Though both groups wandered about campus a bit disoriented, those elders possessed a certain confidence having at least a life of fifty years behind them, while I walked directed but bewildered toward a life unknown that lay before me.
            And so now it is moment of the 50th reunion of my high school graduation. I possess pictures of myself and friend in caps and gowns; I know who these two were but I am only partly aware of who they are now. And I stand in my classroom before my students in exactly the same position that I stood 50 years ago before the returning graduates of Roanoke College. But I think that maybe something has changed; certainly the world has altered considerably and dangerously continues to alter. I read the news today, oh boy!
            But there are things that remain exactly the same and I think it is those things that trouble me. For then I didn’t know them as things . . . but when I consider them now I experience feelings I had then, and I suddenly understand my life so much differently. I think memories are often suspect, but perhaps feelings are always true and there is much to be learned from them.
            In any case, I am not portly though I am somewhat wrinkled. And I head now out to a yoga class so that I remain somewhat flexible if not supple.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Martin said...

This is the best website which can generate PSN codes. Visit to get these codes today and enjoy PSN gaming. thanks for the post and the best portal to get Free PSN Codes . Nice blogging, same as the portal which offers you free PSN codes and all these are available on PlayStation plus redeem codes which are best for PSN gaming. Visit the website purely designed for PSN games hack. It provides you with the hacks and cheats used while playing games on PlayStation. It's amazing as it guarantees the delivery of PSN codes for free and it's very true, visit to explore

16 October, 2017 15:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home