07 December 2005

Not so random thoughts on a very cold evening!


It gets cold very quickly here in Wisconsin. Suddenly, it would seem, the degrees plummet to zero and below, and snow covers the ground. Only yesterday, I wore my shorts while running, today I wear fleece lined shorts under my running tights and Gore-tex. I wear three shirts and a wind-proof and cold-resistant jacket. I wrap myself in a neck warmer and a lined, ragg-wool cap. Two pair of gloves are insufficient, and my nose freezes unrelievedly. It’s ok, really! I’ve learned that such is what life is like here in Wisconsin in winter, and so, unless the wind-chill factor dips below -35 degrees, I head out into the element with only my dearest friend, Gary, and my iPod for company.

It’s quite beautiful in the frigid morning. The black sky is punctuated with pinpointed moments of stars—jewels of the universe they are, indeed. The crispness of the air makes all vision seem unmediated; it is as if there were nothing between me and the stars. As they shine it seems only them and me in the world, and on the road they silently accompany me.

But what I really wanted to say concerns my youngest daughter. Having spent much of my adult life in therapy, it’s impossible to understand life outside of the therapeutic experience. And so I examine her life from the couch. And she has this dear, dear friend with whom she appears inseparable. The two arise in their respective homes, and their first thoughts are of the other: the phone rings at 6:30 a.m. Or she dials across town. I can’t imagine what they talk about, but they never fail at conversation. As soon as my daughter steps off the bus, the phone rings; I’d swear they haven’t been apart seventeen minutes! And just before lights out, once more, a good night greeting—until, of course, 6:30 a.m. the next morning.

And I think how wonderful that my child has been inspired by and inspires such love and devotion. If we come into being in our relationship with the Other, then my daughter and her friend are completely alive. And in some wonderful way, in love.

I am happily envious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home