04 July 2008

My capital


So, Jake Barnes, in Hemingway’s The Sun Also Rises says “The world is a good place to buy in.” I agree, though it might be Jake’s friend Bill who mentions the ease of purchase. I want to connect this sentiment with something in Thoreau; somewhere, perhaps in Walden, but perhaps not, Thoreau remarks that most people spend their whole lives saving money for that time in their life when they can least spend it. The implication I draw from Thoreau is that I should spend m money now when I can because I can’t guarantee either that I will be around later to spend it, or that I will find anything (at my advanced age) to purchase.

Now, Jake suggests that the world is an easy place to buy in, and I guess Thoreau agrees. New Englanders are often categorized as ‘thrifty,’ and certainly Thoreau learned to simplify, simplify, simplify. I recall a humorous story: a young man was walking down a New England street (probably in New Hampshire). In front of him slowly walked an older man with whitened hair. Suddenly, it became apparent to the young man that as the older man moved forward, everyone walking in the opposite direction crossed the street as if to avoid contact with him. The man continued on alone and without address. When the young man walked into the café, he queried the waiter if there was anything wrong with the older man that would cause everyone to avoid him. “Oh, sir,” the waiter whispered conspiratorially, “Mr. Coolidge dipped into his capital.” Mr. Coolidge made purchase in the world and met with its disapproval.

So, the question I wrestle with is this: if the world is a good place to buy in, then how much should I purchase? I realize that this is a question which can be asked only from privilege; though I am hardly wealthy, though I am solidly middle class. It is, nevertheless, a legitimate question. I used to wonder about John Lennon writing songs of peace and equality and imagining no differences while he was living in the Dakota. He was buying the police force bullet proof vests at that point, when he needed one himself! But his wealth wasn’t fault: he was just making music and having a fairly good time. So I make a certain amount of money, I have a pension and will have (as long as it is mine) social security, and really, I don’t think of retiring for a while at least. So, shouldn’t I purchase while the purchasing is good?

Thoreau spoke of simplifying, but how simple shall I become? I can’t live off the interest of my capital--not even close. But how much of my capital should I spend? How much money shall I take with me into my older age? What shall I purchase?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home